Thursday, February 10, 2011

Atomic Floor Cleaner Compound

I was getting ready to wax the floor the other day at one of our rental properties, when I noticed some stubborn stains on the vinyl tile floor. There were square darkened areas where the previous tenant had laid some rubber-backed floor mats:
So, I stripped off the wax, and thoroughly cleaned the floor, but the stains remained. All of my commercial-grade big-guns would not blast out the stain.
I did a little research, and found the cause - not the tenant, but the manufacturer of the rugs. Have you noticed that the backing of rubber-backed rugs does not deteriorate and crumble as much as in the old days? That's because the manufacturers treat the backing with ANTI-OXIDANTS, which retard the deterioration of the rubber. And they react with vinyl tile, even through many coats of floor wax, by osmosis. And there was even a little-known cure, using safe planet-friendly ingredients that can be found in any kitchen cabinet: lemon juice and baking soda. (if you look at the first picture again, you'll see I just had some lying around in the doorway!).And I followed the instructions, first adding about half a box of baking soda, and then enough lemon juice to form a paste.
They didn't say that this would cause a reaction akin to cold nuclear fusion, but, hey, it was the most exciting thing that happened that day. Janitors don't get out much, and they have to get their entertainment wherever they can.
So I applied the glop, which smelled good enough to eat, all over the floor, and spread it around with my Power Flite floor scrubber. Here's a cockpit view:
I let the paste set overnight on the floor, as suggested, and the following day, I eagerly mopped up the dried mixture to reveal:
Nothing. The atomic home-made Internet Compound for the Elimination of Anti-Oxidants did nothing. In all fairness, in subsequent days, I also tried the Miraculous Oxi Substance with the same results. Looks like the dead guy couldn't help me either.

So, last night I started waxing, and the stains will be a little easier to sell to prospective tenants under three coats of gleaming fresh-smelling floor wax. The only other option is to replace the tiles. So, the Serenity Prayer Solution it is! Learn to accept the things the landlord is no f@#$g way going to change. It's a very clean and shiny stain. Or get a throw rug! With a nice rubber backing treated with anti-oxidants so that the backing will not deteriorate. This is how the world goes 'round.

5 comments:

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

Remind me I never want to be a landlord. Never.

wv: derso

I don't want to be a landlord cuz derso busy with all these CLEANERS all the time.

Lydia Fiedler said...

GAH - I was so hoping for Mother Nature to win!!! Did you try DDT???

KIDDING!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi! This post coulԁn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... parchet triplu stratificat

Unknown said...

Yeah. These dirt and stains on the floor can really stick. There are other floor cleaners out there that are really powerful and effective, but one has to choose the best fit for their homes. It's all the matter of being persistent in finding them. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

German Zollinger @ Total Clean Equipment

LSG Industrial & Office Products, Inc. said...

Thanks for sharing us these ideas but if you are looking for alternatives you may want to consider looking for Nilfisk detergents. Cleaning Equipment Angeles