Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fern

I was kinda late this year in setting up the planters - well, with Global Warming and all, this is really the first week this year that the temperatures have stayed above the 40s for more than 24 hours in Wisconsin.  So, I went to Stein's Garden Center and took advantage of the closeouts on bedding plants - got lots of petunias, marigolds, impatiens, dianthus, and snapdragons.
On my way to the checkout, I was caught off-guard.  A rack of tiny Boston Ferns caught my attention with their beautiful green fronds.  I had forgotten how affectionate the little critters could be.  One of them practically begged me to take him home.  I usually don't do impulse buying, so I was a little sheepish when I got it home, in its little plastic pot with fronds protruding from its protective sleeve.  But my wife said "What a cute little t'ing!"  So I knew I was on the right track.  I could put him up in a planter over in the shopping court, where he'd get lots of light and fresh air.  I put him at the top of the steps, to re-plant the following day.



Next morning, however, there were NO fronds protruding from the plastic sleeve - my little fern had been mowed down even with the pot.  I asked Syd if he had seen anybody enjoying the fresh green salad-y flavor of my new fern.  But Syd was busy inspecting the summer quilt-storage arrangements, and couldn't answer any security-related questions at that time.
But ferns are fast to heal, and very understanding about the "pruning".  Mine was no exception.  Within a week, all the missing fronds had filled in, and Fern is living happily ever after!


Thanks for listening and contributing. I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

That Syd. I'm glad Fern came back to life, though! :)