Thursday, March 8, 2012

Paint Country


More from the Found Floppies
At the time this was written, I was living in an upper duplex on Milwaukee's South Side, recovering from a disastrous dysfunctional relationship mistake.

June 23, 1993


It's been one of those months of contentment that you look back on, 10 years down the line, as the Good Old Days. I've been painting and remodelling, moving into my latest version of life. Sorry I didn't write since April. I'm like, coloring my world, man! 


The colors of Gare-World 1993: Whipped Cream (ivory) everywhere. Spearmint in the bathroom and in my tiny bed room. And the kitchen is peach with powder blue cupboard doors, and shamelessly gaudy curtains from Goldmann's. I've got out my Grandma's old dime-store china, and by taking $10 to a rummage sale, I got a complete set of baking pans, a step stool, a quadrasonic amplifier (late 70's -- remember quadrasonic?), a C-language compiler, and an old version of Microsoft Quick Basic. Actually, the C-compiler wouldn't work unless I feed it into my computer; it doesn't do much in the kitchen. Then my friend from church, Norma, found a shelf unit on the curb; bless her.  Guess what?  I painted it!.  Norma has been helping me paint once in awhile, simply because she likes to paint.

It don't get no better than this... Paint is the cheapest form of remodeling there is. You can completely change the look and feel of a room by changing the color. You can give an old familiar color scheme a newness by applying a second coat. You can take junky old furniture and make it look “country”. I've resigned myself to having a “country” decorating scheme, because all I had was junky old furniture out of the basement and the attic, and plenty o' paint. 


So whenever I paint something, people look at it and say, “Hey, nice 'country' decorating scheme”.  Hey!  IT'S NOT 'COUNTRY' I JUST TOOK ALL MY JUNKY OLD FURNITURE AND PAINTED IT. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE JUDDS OR GARTH TRAVIS OR ANY OF THEM HONKY TONKERS' AND THEIR BLAND SELF-RIGHTEOUS POSING. IT'S JUST PAINT, AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY! 




Thanks for listening and contributing. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: